A chronicle of the meanderings, false starts (which in retrospect, while sort of embarrassing turned out to be highly instructive), epiphanies, selective apathy (still evolving), wild mood swings, opinions (subject to frequent change), and life lessons of an inveterate dabbler (and her latest dabblings).

Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Little Bit Different

I can live with that, but I prefer to be called "unique."

That reminds me. This bracelet I made is a little bit different. From what I usually make, I mean.



I naturally took a cue (inspired by other jewelry makers who have done the same) from Lorelei Eurto and used a couple lengths of chain as a feature in my bracelet, as I felt it was time for another exercise in asymmetry.



I found these great mystery beads at my local bead shop (being in the $1 dollar bin gave them an extra special cachet), and especially loved the matte finish. Couldn't tell what they were at first, but after pawing them for several days with my apparently greasy fingers they darkened and I discovered they were Chinese jade. Now they have great color and they're still matte. And I suppose covered with a fine patina of grime. I combined them with ultra shiny, organic-looking bead caps from Cathy Dailey's store on Etsy, and a bunch of other green stones and pearls.



The stones include nearly transparent green fluorite (a gift from a customer), green aventurine, and forest green moss agate. The pearls are in a pale mint green, and a really stunning gunmetal green. Interestingly, the fluorite appear green under incandescent light, but look more periwinkle in daylight (or daylight bulbs, as in my photos here) or under fluorescent bulbs. So, a two-fer.

I attempted a simple toggle clasp, which actually worked out! The two lengths of chain are hand-forged by Moi. It simply wasn't ornate enough though, so I added some dainty hammered sterling spirals to the jade portion. Phew. This was also my first attempt at messy wrapping with lots more silver wire than I usually use, and I like the effect. It's almost like a bead cap.



It only took me two lunch hours at work, part of an evening and most of a morning to make. And a shitpile of sterling silver wire. Now I have to order more. I really hate doing that. But this order will include some sterling sheet metal, for bead caps. Assuming that experiment proves successful with copper and brass. Haven't quite gotten around to that yet. Just can't find the time. If there were more stoplights on the way to work I would do it in the car. On the way. Although I can steer pretty good with my knees. If I could SEE with my knees too I'd do it on the road. The metal punch and doming block set are just too dang heavy to take to work to do on my lunch hour. And hammering somehow doesn't seem appropriate in a law office. I don't think that would go over well.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice! It is fun to create outside of the "box". What a great dangle sound the bracelet must make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful bracelet, love the colors! i too love the look of "messy" wire wrapping, but afraid of using so much of it. with the cost of metal clay and silver wire, it can get a bit expensive. but, i'll have to try it soon, because i do love the look

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the wire - it goes so quickly. Beautiful bracelet! Green is my fav color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is beautiful - everything about it... i always love doing new things, and then being able to add them to my mental list of design options! great pictures too!

    ReplyDelete