A chronicle of the meanderings, false starts (which in retrospect, while sort of embarrassing turned out to be highly instructive), epiphanies, selective apathy (still evolving), wild mood swings, opinions (subject to frequent change), and life lessons of an inveterate dabbler (and her latest dabblings).

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Art Jewelry Elements April Component of the Month

Lesley Watt, the creative genius behind THEA Jewellery and THEA Elements, is our host this month at Art Jewelry Elements for the April Component of the Month. Lesley is a self-taught jewelry and bead/component artist living in the UK, who works in both precious and base metal clays and ceramic clay. She is especially gifted in creating nature-themed pieces, such as beads and pendants in flower, leaf, and sea motifs, and also more abstract designs with a gentle tribal feel. These are some of my favorites:
For our April challenge, Lesley offered a gorgeous assortment of seashell- and flower-themed glazed ceramic shank buttons:
It was so  hard to choose! I eventually picked the little ammonite at the far right, in terra cotta and cream; I loved the glazing detail and the earthy colors:
 I decided on a button-and-loop closure necklace. Before I began, I wrapped the steel shank in fine copper wire to provide a little buffer for the beading wire I was going to use:
I combined it with large, irregular pink opal nuggets, a spray of iridescent glass beads, and lots of copper. I love the whimsy and personality Lesley's little button adds to the plain beads!
In my opinion, an art bead really takes a piece of jewelry from being merely pretty to being truly memorable and unique.
Thank you Lesley, for the wonderful inspiration!

Be sure to visit all the other participants for more fabulous eye candy!



21 comments:

  1. Love this Keirsten - a lovely neutral 'go with anything' piece but so full of rich texture and interest and even with larger beads that little button captures attention - perfectly placed! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, your design just leaves me stunned. Love the colors you chose, and that pop of interest from the little spray of beads. Awesome job woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keirsten you are amazing with wire and showcasing artbeads!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just FABU. ...love the way the entire piece comes together so cohesively. ..so many little details and finished perfectly...great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really just in awe of your ability to create such unique designs - this one is truly lovely. And great job making Lesley's button stand out, even though it's smaller than the other beads. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous necklace, love that little cluster of pearls on the side!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ADORE this design! If someone handed me those big chunky beads, I would be like WTH am I going to do with THESE? Gorgeous. I love that you can take something like chunky beads and with your "magic wand" elevate it into a piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that's gorgeous!! I love the neutral colors but still a knock out design!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Jennifer - what you did with these chunky beads is gorgeous - it would dress up any outfit wonderfully. The texture overload is a definite bonus!!!! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great component and you made it right at home in your beautiful design! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  11. ::drools:: Love! Love the design and I love those chunky nuggets!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy! I love the colors and how you wrapped the loop of the button, and especially that bouquet of glass beads.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your attention to detail: the wrapped shank, the handmade bead caps, the riveted, textured ring opposite the bead clasp. Your work is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my God!! I really love this necklace!! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am in love/lust with this necklace. Soft pretty colors yet it is bold because of the size of the beads. Just yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've probably said it before, but I love your rich style Keirsten! The colours are beautiful, especially the little cluster of glass, it makes the whole design pop!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is gorgeous! There is something so wonderful about your design style, I don't have the words for it, I just know that every piece you present makes me feel good just looking at them. Someday, I hope to invest in your work so I can enjoy it on my body!!! I really love the copper and creamy together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that's a stunner! I always love what you make, and this is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete