A chronicle of the meanderings, false starts (which in retrospect, while sort of embarrassing turned out to be highly instructive), epiphanies, selective apathy (still evolving), wild mood swings, opinions (subject to frequent change), and life lessons of an inveterate dabbler (and her latest dabblings).

Friday, February 26, 2010

An Experiment

When I finally figured out how to get my butane torch to work on making sterling silver ball head pins, I went hog wild. My heart skips a beat when I see that silver melt into a little ball and start crawling up the wire. (I LOVE FIRE.) I already had a pile of my steel "barbed wire" rings (with which I had also gone hog wild), and had an idea. I've seen other metalsmiths do amazing things with double ended ball heapdins, wrapping them hither and yon onto their jewelry to make really stunning pieces, and I thought I would wrap such things onto my barbed wire rings to make all manner of jewelry components. I love the dark annealed steel with sterling silver. The earrings below were originally intended to be connectors in a necklace with a larger, similar component for the pendant, but there was just too much going on. They became earrings instead. The pendant was awaiting some pewter beads from Happy Mango Beads, which I got today in the mail. So hopefully the pendant will be strung and completed tomorrow.



I will probably do this again with copper (unless you all say "Um, WTF?"), once I get my propane torch going. It's still in the box in the bag. I'm a little chicken. I'm not going to say I'll fire it up this weekend because I said that last weekend and I think the weekend before that. I'm just going to wait for the propane to call my name.

4 comments:

  1. I love these! There is something very special about watching the little silve bead crawl up the wire isn't there. I don't do this often but OMG I love watching fore in action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splendid ! Love the wonderful ball head pin, the sterling silver colour gives such a beautiful effect.
    Now i have a torch with oxygen i'll try to do more of them with copper as i have no sterling silver...
    Can't wait for the pendant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is something so raw and unpredictable about these. Keep going. Open that torch up and let's see what you can do (be sure the fire extinguisher is close by *wink*)
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kieeeeeerrrrrrrsteeeeeennnnnnnnn.

    Did you hear that? That's the propane calling your name. It wants to be fired up. Get it out and heat up some copper. Those earrings are too cool!

    ReplyDelete